28th Annual Learning Symposium - “Learning In and Out of the Classroom”
Keynote Speaker, Alfie Kohn, will deliver a presentation on "Performance vs. Learning: The Cost of Overemphasizing Success"
Each year, the Winston School San Antonio and its Medical-Scientific Advisory Committee work diligently to plan the Winston Annual Learning Symposium—an educational event that provides the community with access to cutting-edge research and tools to help educate students with learning differences. The Learning Symposium allows us to extend Winston’s reach by providing important information to parents, mental health, healthcare, and education professionals from the local community and across the state. Each year, the event features a nationally-renowned professional and breakout sessions that are hosted by a select group of local professionals.
The focus of the 28th Annual Learning Symposium is "Learning In and Out of the Classroom". Mr. Kohn is an American author and lecturer in the areas of education, parenting, and human behavior. He is a proponent of progressive education and has offered critiques of many traditional aspects of parenting, managing, and American society more generally, drawing in each case from social science research, and will be our Keynote Presenter. He will deliver an informative lecture on Performance vs. Learning: The Cost of Overemphasizing Achievement.
Our breakout sessions will include:
- Technology: Presented by Dr. Lucretia Fraga
- Behavior & Mindfulness: Presented by Dr. Jon Lasser
- ADHD and Medication: Presented by Dr. Steven Pliszka
- ADHD in the Classroom: Presented by Linda Hamilton
- Deciphering the Autism Spectrum: Presented by Amanda Boutot
- Art & Education: Presented by Dr. Sean Justice
- Outdoor Activities/Outdoor Education: Presented by Dr. Tom Arsuffi
- Brain Breaks
- Ethics Track: By a panel of 4 experts in communication, law, education, and medical practices.
Cost to Attend:
- General Admission–$80
- Winston Parent/Grandparent–$60
- Physicians (With CME Credit)–$160
- College Student (Must show ID)–$40
- Teachers (Group of 5 or more)–$70/each
- Trinity/UIW student–$25
These are Early Bird Prices! Prices will go up after December 31, 2017!
Over 370 parents and professionals attended the 27th Annual Learning Symposium!
If you missed out on the event, or if you would like a re-cap of any of the sessions, please click here.